02 July 2022

Rifat murder: Nayan Bond killed in ‘gunfight’ with cops

File photo - Photo Desk

A main attacker of a sensational murder incident in Bangladesh’s southern Barguna district has been killed in crossfire with cops, according to police sources.

Sabbir Hossain Nayan alias Nayan Bond, one of the two attackers who hacked Barguna youth Rifat Sharif to death in front of his wife in broad daylight, was killed in “gunfight” with law enforcers early today (Tuesday), police said.

A team of Barguna Sadar Police Station came under attack by the gang of Nayan when they conducted a drive to arrest Nayan at Purbo Burirchar near Purkata ferry ghat area around 4:15am, Abir Hossain Mohammad, officer-in-charge of Barguna Sadar Police Station, told local journalists.

“In response, police fired back to protect themselves, triggering the “gunfight” and the body of Nayan was found after the “gunfight”, Mohammad added.

Four policemen including Additional SP Shajahan Mia, who led the drive, were injured in the incident, he said, adding that two of them were sent to Barishal as their conditions were stated to be critical.

Police also recovered three sharp weapons, one pistol and three bullets from the spot.

After hearing the sounds of gunshots around 4:00 am, local people rushed to the spot at around 5:00 am and saw the dead body there, villagers said journalists.

Earlier on Wednesday (26 June), Nayan and Rifat Farajee, along with some others, attacked 25-year-old Rifat Sharif, an internet service provider, with sharp weapons near Barguna Government College in front of his wife.

A video clip of the barbaric attack, probably captured by a mobile phone, went viral on social media triggering public outrage, with many condemning the bystanders for not coming forward to save Rifat.

Rifat’s wife Ayesha alone desperately tried to save her husband from the attackers but in vain.

The clip showed that two assailants were hacking Rifat indiscriminately with sharp weapons as Ayesha was trying to hold back one of the attackers.

Fatally injured Rifat was taken to Barishal Sher-E-Bangla Medical College Hospital (BSMCH) where doctors declared him dead.

The doctors found at least eight stab marks in different parts of his body.

A case was filed against 12 people with Barguna Sadar Police Station on the same day the incident took place.

A total of eight people have so far been arrested in the case filed over the murder until the date, according to police records.


More News