31 May 2020

5 die in 4 districts with 'fever, cold'


Five people, including two women, died with 'flu-like symptoms' at different hospitals in Barishal, Khulna, Rajshahi and Manikganj on Sunday and Saturday night.

Of the deceased, two died in Barishal district while the rest three in Khulna, Rajshahi and Manikganj districts, UNB reports.

In Barishal, two people died at Barishal's Sher-e-Bangla Medical College (SBMC).

The deceased were identified as Jakir Hossain, 45, a resident of Sadar upazila in Patuakhali, and Niru Begum, 45, wife of Md Dulal of Puranpara in the city.

It is unclear whether their samples have been collected for COVID-19 tests.

Niru was the first one to die at the Corona Unit of SBMC in the early hours of Sunday. Jakir's death was reported about eight hours later.

SBMC Director Dr Md Bakir Hossain said Niru's relatives rushed her to emergency around 11:45pm.

He suggested them to take her to Corona Unit of the hospital after hearing her symptoms. She died around 12:05am.

She had been suffering from diarrhoea and underwent treatment at Barisal General Hospital around three days ago. She returned home after recovery but fell sick again with fever, pain in the throat and asthma. She also had diabetes and high blood pressure, the doctor said quoting relatives.

The relatives took the body home soon after her death.

Dr Hossain said the relatives of Jakir Hossain took him to the Medicine Department of the hospital first on Saturday afternoon at 5:50pm.

He was later shifted to Corona Unit of the hospital where he died around 7:20am.

The Institute of Epidemiology, Disease Control and Research (IEDCR) was informed about the cases and the authorities permitted burial, the doctor added.

Jakir had been suffering from asthma for a long time, his family sources said.

Six patients with fever and cough were admitted to SBMC since last night. Doctors said the hospital lacks any equipment to test coronavirus.

In Khulna, Sultan Sheikh, 70, son of Abdul Gafur from Narail's Kalia upazila, with flu-like symptoms died at the Isolation Unit of Khulna Medical College Hospital (KMCH) this (Sunday) morning.

KMCH corona unit doctor Shailendranath Biswas said Sultan was undergoing treatment at the Corona Unit but he had been suffering from tuberculosis

They informed the IEDCR but were told that it is not important to take Sultan's sample as he had tuberculosis.

Sultan's body was handed over to his family without any test, the doctor added.

Khulna Civil Surgeon Dr Sujat Ahmed also confirmed that the man had been suffering from tuberculosis.

In Manikganj, Suchitra Sarkar, 26, wife of Nitai Sarkar of Boroichhara village in Harirampur upazila, was declared after she was taken to Mannu Medical College Hospital in Sadar upazila around 9:30 am.

SM Maniruzzaman, deputy director of the hospital, said Suchitra had been suffering from fever, cough, diarrhoea and respiratory problem for the last seven days. The woman died before being taken to the hospital, he said.

The father-in-law of Suchitra died seven days ago and a huge number of people gathered at their house on the occasion of the funeral of Suchitra’s father-in-law, said Maniruzzaman.

Manikganj Civil Surgeon Dr Anwarul Amin Akhand, said “Already samples have been collected from the deceased for checking whether she had been suffering from Coronavirus and the samples will be sent to Dhaka as soon as possible.”

In Rajshahi, Al Amin, 22, son of Moklesur Rahman, hailing from Alankar Dighi village of Raninagar upazila in Naogaon district died at Rajshahi Medical College Hospital (RMCH) with fever and cold on Saturday night.

Moklesur Rahman, father of the deceased, said Al Amin worked as a clothes shop assistant in Narayanganj. He returned home with severe cold, fever and asthma on Saturday morning.

As the villagers objected to keep him home, they took him to Naogaon Sadar Hospital but the doctors there declined to treat him and sent them back.

They were also turned away from Adamdighi Upazila Health Complex in Bogura.

Later, with the assistance of Raninagar Upazila Nirbahi Officer Al Mamun, the patient was admitted to Raninagar Upazila Health Complex and was later shifted to Naogaon Sadar Hospital and finally to RMCH.

RMCH doctors declared him dead around 9:30pm, the father added.

Dr Saiful Ferdous, Deputy Director of RMCH, said Al Amin was admittedto the hospital with fever and cough but he had been suffering from meningitis.

The body of the deceased was handed over to the family on that night.

Bangladesh has so far confirmed 48 cases and five coronavirus deaths. No new case was reported in the last 48 hours, the government said Sunday.

"In the past 24 hours, IEDCR and BITID in Chattogram tested 109 samples. None of them were positive," IEDCR Director Prof Meerjady Sabrina Flora said at an online press briefing.

More News